July 1, 2016
To the members of Old Oakland Golf Club:
I am pleased to announce that yesterday I completed the acquisition of Old Oakland from the Dawson family. I want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement and support over the past couple of months. I am excited about owning Old Oakland and the possibilities for making the club even better.
You will see a number of improvements beginning to take place at the club. Some are necessary, like replacing a 50-year-old sprinkler system still serving the “original” holes, and replacing some aging kitchen equipment. Some are long overdue, like installing a cart path on the East nine to allow riders to still play East on those soggy Indiana days. Other changes will make the golf experience better, like reshaping and rebuilding all of the bunkers and also improving the playability of some of the West nine holes.
All told, I expect to invest an additional $2 million over the next three years in Old Oakland to make it a first class golf club. We are working through the timing and logistics of implementing the improvements, and I hope to be able to share a more detailed plan with you soon.
I have engaged the management firm of Cohoat and O’Neal to assist me. Many of you may already know Doc O’Neal; he was instrumental in the development and opening of the highly successful Bridgewater Club, and has spent forty years in the golf industry in Indiana. Doc will be spending substantial time at Old Oakland overseeing the changes we have planned. Please stop by and say hi to Doc.
Many of you have asked what you can do to help during this transition of ownership; I would ask three things of each of you over the next several months. First and foremost, take advantage of all the club has to offer. This includes dining. Christie and her staff have developed a great, varied menu, and the quality of the food and service is really good. When you contemplate going out for dinner, put Old Oakland at the top of your list of options. Secondly, tell your friends about all of the great things happening here, and bring them to the club for golf and dinner. The lifeblood of any organization is to grow its customer base, and Old Oakland is no exception. We need more members, and you are our best salespeople! Lastly, I would ask you to be patient. Good things are coming, but they will take time, and there will be some disruptions and inconveniences while they are being implemented.
As we begin this next chapter in the life of Old Oakland, I’d like to thank the Dawson family for their care and stewardship of the club for the past three decades. I’d also like to thank Lyle Palmer, who will be retiring after 26 years of service to the club. Lyle will be relocating to Nevada with his wife Marie. His last day in the shop will be Friday, July 8. Please stop in to thank Lyle for his service to Old Oakland and to wish him well.
Lastly, I would like to invite all of you to a member’s open house, to take place at the club on Sunday, July 31 from 5 to 7 pm. I hope to meet the few of you I haven’t already met, and to also share more details about the improvements planned for Old Oakland.
Thanks again for your support, and I look forward to seeing you at the club and on the 31st.
It probably goes without saying that these are very exciting times at Old Oakland Golf Club. The energy is so positive, outstanding enhancements are on the horizon, and the Club’s proud new owner, and thirty (30) year Member, Steve Sterrett, has a passion and a commitment to make Old Oakland Golf Club the best it can be for all of you, your families and your guests.
On Sunday, July 31st, 2016 Steve will host an Open House at the Clubhouse for all Old Oakland Golf Club Members and their Spouses. The evening will include appetizers and an “open bar”. The Open House will begin at 5:00 p.m. and will go to approximately 7:00 p.m. In addition, Steve will review with all of you the many changes and enhancements that will take place over the next several years. A brief “peek” into the future will include the following:
- New cart path starting this Fall on the East Nine
- New irrigation system starting this Fall on the East Nine
- Newly re-configured and renovated bunkers this Fall on the East Nine. This will include new drainage (where necessary), new design and all new sand for each of the bunkers. You will love these new bunkers! The name given to these bunkers is the Better Billy Bunker. If you have time, Google Better Billy Bunker and go to the YouTube video time lapse of the bunker process to see how these bunkers are constructed. Quite amazing!
- The practice tee and practice range will take on a new personality with colorful targets, bag stands, new easel with yardages, new easel with clock, new trash containers, new club washers, a table with towels, complimentary tees, scorecards, new range balls, Adirondack chairs, hitting station dividers, divot mix bottles to be used on the golf course, and a container with complimentary iced down bottles of water for all Members and their guests
- New logo – as seen on this communication
- We will have new flags and flagsticks for all 27 holes and practice greens. We will be going to a one color flag system on the golf course and we will place each hole in a designated position (1 thru 5) every day. Each golf car will have a hole location sheet and we will provide them in the golf shop, as well, for all the golfers who enjoy walking. We will have laminated hole location cards so you will be able to keep them on your pull/push cart. This new system will give you a better sense of the hole location on each green. I would anticipate this change prior to August 1st
- We plan to enhance the golf apparel in the golf shop with the new logo. We anticipate that we will have new product in the shop starting early to mid-August. Expect some very attractive and quality items for “your shopping pleasure”
- In regards to food and beverage, we have plans that we will share with you as we go throughout the month of July and for the balance of this season. We want to make the Club your first choice when dining out with family and friends
- Outside services staff will all have staff shirts with name badges
We are pleased to announce that Ryan Maier has been promoted to Interim Head Golf Professional. Ryan will be the lead person on all golf operations. Ryan is very excited about this opportunity and we look forward to working with Ryan and all the Members and families, as we look to provide all of you with a fantastic golf experience. Cameron Marine and Doug Campbell will be Ryan’s Assistant Professionals and Joe Kines will continue to provide assistance in the golf shop.
Chase Walden is your golf course Superintendent. Chase and his crew do a fabulous job. Christy Rieman is your Executive Chef. Thanks to Christy and her team for the incredible job they do for all the Members and guests of Old Oakland Golf Club.
On a final note, we would all like to thank Lyle Palmer for his 26 years of dedication to the Members and families of Old Oakland Golf Club. Lyle is a genuinely wonderful person. He has given a substantial part of his life for the betterment of this great Club. The Membership of Old Oakland Golf Club will miss you. Thank you Lyle!
Thanks to Steve Sterrett, and all of you, for the opportunity to serve you and to make each and every day at Old Oakland Golf Club….a great day!
“Doc” O’Neal, COO, Cohoat and O’Neal Golf Management
Mondays at The Club
Just a reminder that starting July 25th (and each Monday throughout the golf season), beverage and snack service will be available in the bar/dining area from 12 noon to 6:00 p.m.
Stop out, play some golf, practice and enjoy a cool beverage!
Open House – see you this Sunday at 5:00 p.m.